Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Simply Scrumptous Fit & Flavorful Fat Free Cupcakes


Simply Scrumptous is an online shop that sells baked goods like cookies, brownies, and muffins. They have a "Fit & Flavorful" line, which features fat-free and low-fat bakery items. This includes brownies, cakes, cupcakes, donuts, muffins, and cookies. Last year, their fat free cupcakes were discontinued. However, they recently created a brand new cupcake that is now 70 calories instead of 100 calories. 


I ordered this cupcake online and it just came in today! You can imagine my excitement. When I opened it up, the first thing I did was measure it on my food scale. Often, products like these will have a serving size of 2 oz. and end up being 4 oz. - twice the calories. But not this one! The serving size said about 2.2 oz and it measured out to be exactly 2.2 oz. So I knew I was really only eating 70 calories. 


I put it in the microwave for about fifteen seconds because I like my desserts hot and melted. When it came out, I quickly dove in. It tasted really good! I absolutely LOVED the frosting. It was vanilla and had a very delectable taste. The cake part was chocolate. It tasted like chocolate but it had a little bit of an aftertaste to it. However, it was moist and satisfying. I do have to admit that I probably would not eat this if it were not for the frosting.


The size was VERY good especially for 70 calories. It definitely satisfied my sweet tooth and I am sure I will have this again. I did like the other cupcake the company was selling before a little bit better, but unfortunately that is no longer an option. 


Onto the nutritional information. The ingredients: erythiol (a natural sweetener), oat fiber, water, whole wheat, non-fat milk, egg whites, apples, sugar, non-fat cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, water, non-fat milk powder, powdered sugar, vanilla. Looks like a pretty solid ingredient list to me. Erythiol is a pretty harmless sweetener if you eat it in moderation. It also provides 8 grams of fiber. I still would not eat this all the time, but rather as a treat, because it is high in sugar and I am not a huge fan of artificial sweeteners.

Nutrition information: 70 calories, 100 mg of sodium, 27 grams of carbs, 11 grams of sugar, 6 grams of sugar alcohols, 8 grams of dietary fiber, 2 grams of protein. 


1 comment:

  1. looks yummy... not sure if it is worth the cost of shipping though. wonder what the old one tasted like!

    ReplyDelete